On Thursday, with family and friends, many of us will turn our reflections on giving of thanks. I woke up this morning thinking of all I have to be thankful for in the area of profession, passion, and interest. My Edu-Thanksgiving list:
- All of the adult “educator-leaders” (this year I have tried to stop re-enforcing the silos of teacher, administrator, staff, and trustee) who give so much of themselves in service to the future of children.
- Colleagues from around the country and the world who I have never met face to face, but who are willing to share with me nonetheless.
- My growing list of really good friends…who happen to share a passion for education.
- Aisle seats, and airplanes that leave and arrive on time (and almost giddy “I won the lottery” thankful on the rare occasion that the middle seat is empty!)
- The many principals, school heads, superintendents, association directors, and others who have invited me to work with their schools. teams, and communities over the past 24 months.
- My book publisher, Jossey-Bass Education and everyone who had the faith to buy my new book.
- A place to sit in the sun at home, and time to think and write.
- New ideas that arrive unbidden.
- Students who surprise us (why am I ever still surprised?) with the “bigness” of their understanding.
Wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends, and for those in countries where this is not a special day, just hug someone extra hard!